How To File A Claim For Worker’s Compensation

no image added yet.

Any federal employee who has been injured on the job or acquires a work-related illness may file a claim for Workers’ Compensation.

The filing process consist of 4 easy to follow steps:

1) Report the injury to your supervisor as soon as possible.

2) Request completed forms CA-1, CA-16 and CA-17 from your supervisor, and seek medical treatment if needed.

3) Report the injury to your union steward.

4) Call MedPartners, Inc. for further assistance and information.

Listed below are 2 of the most important factors to consider when filing a claim for Workers’ Compensation.

  1. Filing a Claim Correctly

After reporting the injury to your supervisor, you should then request and complete either form CA-1, “Federal Employee’s Notice of Traumatic Injury and Claim for Continuation of Pay/Compensation” or form CA-2, “Notice of Occupational Disease and Claim for Compensation”. A traumatic injury is one that can be pinpointed to have occurred during one particular work shift – falling down the steps for example. An occupational disease is a medical condition that has developed due to work activities performed over more than one work shift – carpal tunnel for example. While filling out either form it is important to list the exact date of injury. The date of injury is the actual date when you hurt yourself. If you experience a workplace injury and do not report it immediately, but choose to rest or seek medical attention at a later point in time, the date of injury is still the date when you first injured yourself while on the job. In addition to the date of injury, listing the approximate time of injury is also vital to the success of your claim. The approximate time of injury is defined as the exact hour and minute of the day at which your injury took place – 11:36pm for example. Lastly, one of the most important factors to consider when filling out form CA-1 in particular, is to determine rather or not you wish to use your sick and/or annual leave or if you prefer to receive Continuation of Pay. COP, or Continuation of Pay, is a benefit that allows for a federal employee to receive up to 45 calendar days of their regular pay due to disability or absence from work due to treating an injury. This benefit is paid as salary rather than compensation and is subject to typical payroll deductions like retirement contributions and income taxes.


  1. Filing a Claim in a Timely Manner

Reporting and filing an injury immediately after it occurs is vital to the prevention of an injury becoming a permanent disability. There are numerous studies that show leaving an injury untreated can cause long term damage.

After reporting a workplace injury to your immediate supervisor a federal employee should request 3 forms, CA-1, CA-16 and CA-17. Although, an employee under federal law has three years to report the injury, it is advised however, to report the injury immediately to avoid missing out on key benefits and entitlements.

MedPartners, Inc is an expert in the OWCP/DOL process and will aid all federal employees with free medical treatment and case management services. For more information contact us at 1-866-633-7457 or visit us online